Netherlands-Hantavirus/Cruise Ship/Detection
Netherlands-Hantavirus/Cruise Ship/Detection
Dateline : May 18/21, 2026
Location : Netherlands
Duration : 0'56
Rotterdam, Netherlands - May 18, 2026 (CCTV - No access Chinese mainland)
1. Various of cruise ship MV Hondius, boat
2. Various of quarantine units on shore
3. Various of MV Hondius
All the 27 individuals who arrived in Rotterdam aboard the hantavirus-hit cruise ship MV Hondius have tested negative for the Andes virus, the Dutch Ministry of Health, Welfare and Sport said on Thursday.
The cruise ship arrived at the Dutch port city on Monday for disinfection, ending a voyage that had drawn the attention of international health authorities over hantavirus infections on board.
In a letter to the parliament, Dutch Minister of Health, Welfare and Sport Sophie Hermans said none of the 27 individuals were currently showing symptoms of infection.
"Upon arrival at the port, the individuals underwent comprehensive medical examinations and laboratory testing," Hermans said. "All test results for them are negative. This means that no Andes virus infection has been detected in them." Health and epidemic prevention authorities are also conducting virus tests on samples taken from multiple points aboard the ship.
She also said that a hantavirus-infected patient who was admitted to the Radboud University Medical Center in Nijmegen on May 7 has since been discharged and is currently in quarantine at home.
The Dutch National Institute for Public Health and the Environment said earlier this week that the risk of hantavirus spreading in the Netherlands remains very low.
According to Oceanwide Expeditions, the Dutch vessel’s operator, after comprehensive cleaning, inspections and routine reviews, the Hondius is scheduled to resume operation on June 13.
The vessel set sail from Ushuaia, Argentina, on April 1, heading for the Atlantic island nation of Cape Verde. The hantavirus-infection occurred mid-journey, turning the ship into a focal point of international health monitoring. The World Health Organization (WHO) has assessed the risk posed by the infection to the global public as low.
ID : 8480604
Published : 2026-05-22 15:18
Last Modified : 2026-05-22 20:27:36
Source : China Central Television (CCTV)
Restrictions : No access Chinese mainland
More